On July 19th, my husband and I celebrated 365 days of married life! I always heard people say that the first year of marriage is the hardest…but I couldn’t disagree with that statement more! Of course it’s a HUGE life change, and there were some adjustments. But hard? No. Having the love of my life always by my side made our first year EASY. And the happiest year of my life:)
When I married my husband, I was 20 years old and he was 21. I never thought I would be the girl to get married young. Some people thought we were crazy…but when you know you’ve found the one, why wait?! I first met my husband when I was just 11, and having that friendship down first has helped so much…I can honestly say I married my best friend!
Before I get too sappy over here, I wanted to share with you all 5 things I’ve learned and loved about being married!
- Getting married young, or at any age, does not take away opportunities–it opens your life up for more! I love that I found my husband so early in life…all of my goals and dreams that I had planned for my life get to be shared with him. I love that we’re still trying to figure out our careers, and I love that we live in a one bedroom apartment and have to budget finances. I love not having everything set up perfectly yet and embracing the unknown…because it’s life! Things aren’t perfect, and it’s so much fun to be able to work our way up together! Going through all of these changes haven’t made life harder; they’ve helped us to grow together. And because my husband and I did get married so young, we’re not only growing up together, but because of each other.
2. No matter how well you know your fiancé, I guarantee you’ll learn SO much more about them once you tie the knot! I love seeing all of the little quirks my husband has. I love knowing random things about each other that nobody else would. And I love having someone truly know me, all of me, and still love me no matter what.
3. It will never be just me anymore…it’s always US and OUR life…and I love that. It means you’re never alone. In sickness and in health, no matter what, you always have someone there for you. I think about his best interests, and he thinks about mine. We are each other’s biggest support, encouragement, and motivation. It’s the best feeling in the world.
4. It’s important to understand the fact that everyone is brought up different in some way or another. Sometimes we get used to things being done in a certain way, and they end up getting done completely different– and that’s okay! There are so many little things that my husband and I do differently. Whether it’s as little as the way we cook or clean, it has taught us to be more open minded, and we’ve learned new ways of handling situations! 🙂
5. Date nights are a must!! That’s not saying you have to go out and spend a ton of money. We have found DOZENS of ideas on pinterest, or just random ideas on a whim! Love doesn’t cost a thing;) Making quality time a priority is so important in keeping the romance and happiness strong! Not to mention, it’s always the best part of the day, and something I always look forward to! ❤
No matter what anyone tells you about life after the honeymoon stage, know that life CAN be all cake and frosting–sometimes it’s a little messy and imperfect, but it’s sweet all the same! I have learned SO much in just one year of marriage…I can’t wait to continue to learn more over the years!!
I couldn’t have dreamed of a better first year of marriage. Here’s to many, manyyyy more anniversary celebrations!
❤ ❤ ❤