I wanted to take a minute to talk about one of today’s fastest growing trends– eyelash extensions! A lot of people will get eyelash extensions for a special occasion, or simply so they don’t have to wear mascara! Others, because it gives you the drama you want, without looking fake. If you’ve never had eyelashes extensions done, or never even heard of them, you’ve come to the right place! I’m currently working in a salon as an esthetician and lash technician, and I’m here to answer common questions I get asked about lashes!
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING that I can stress before beginning, is to PLEASE make sure you go to a trained professional for your lash extensions. I hear so many horror stories about people having to go to the emergency room afterwards because their “tech” glued their eyes shut with super glue or even tire adhesive! Crazy right!? The lash adhesive should be good quality and never, EVER touch your skin! Your eyes are so important…you want to make sure you’re going to someone who knows exactly what they’re doing:) Lash extensions are great for everyone, and should always be 100% damage-free. There is no reason you shouldn’t absolutely love your lashes after getting them done, correctly:)
Okay, my little rant is over. We can start now:)
- What are lash extensions? First things first! So lash extensions are single strands of synthetic fibers, designed to replicate a real lash! There are different curl and thickness options so that you can get the exact look you want!
- How long do lash extensions last? The extensions will shed with your natural lashes. Most of my clients get fills after 2 weeks! It’s not recommended to wait up to 4 weeks or more without getting a fill, as you would most likely need a new, full set after that! Make sure you don’t pull any of the lashes off yourself..you don’t want to damage your natural lash, or have it come out prematurely.
- What is the after care for lashes? After getting your lashes done, refrain from getting them wet or from using steam for 24-48 hours! Getting your lashes wet can speed up the break down process of the glue. After that, feel free to get your spa, on:) When washing your face, just try to be careful around the eye area. My favorite thing to clean lashes with are little microfiber brushes, which is basically like a baby q-tip! You can find packs of them online. Also, try your best not to sleep directly on your lashes!
- Can you wear mascara? The best part of lash extensions is that it gives you the appearance of wearing mascara, without the hassle of putting it on! However, if you have a special occasion you’re going to and need to add a little extra drama to your lashes, you can. Just make sure you are using a water based mascara, and that you ONLY apply mascara to the tips of your lash extensions! Applying it all the way to the base will cause the glue to break down faster, and it’ll most likely end up being a globby, mess:( I’ve heard a lot of good things about Max 2 mascara because it’s specifically made for lash extensions, but sadly I haven’t tried it personally yet. PS: You’re going to need to break up with your lash curler though..you won’t need it anymore and it can damage your extensions!
- How long does the procedure take? Timing can really vary depending on how many natural lashes you have, and the kind of look you’re going for! It can take up to 2 hours for a full glam set, and as little as a 45 minute fill on your lunch break! I’d suggest chatting with your lash tech about it while you’re scheduling your appointment. That way, you’ll be able to plan your day accordingly:)
- What are lash extensions made of? There are several different brands and types of lashes, some coming in real mink and human hair. However the kind I use are a silk, synthetic blend that’s actually designed to feel like natural hair! Unlike the natural hair though, it will actually keep the curl.. which will make your lashes happy:D
Alright, so there you have it! I hope you found these answers helpful! If you have any more lash questions for me, leave them in a comment below and i’ll be sure to get back to you ASAP:)
Thanks so much for reading!!